Previously we listed the three most likely major accomplishments of the GOP Congress in 2015:
- Reauthorizing the Export/Import Bank;
- Federal sentencing reform;
- Passing a budget bill to extend the U.S. Debt Ceiling and increase spending.
So whose agenda is this? Because if you asked 1,000 voters from 2014 who voted GOP what their top three agenda items were, none of this would be on the list.
Here’s the answer:
- Reauthorizing the Export/Import Bank: The House GOP Leadership is allowing a rare procedural motion to advance this bill. This is a top agenda item of the U.S. Chamber of Commerce and Democrats. The two companies that benefit the most are Boeing (HQ in IL) and General Electric (HQ in CT).
- Federal sentencing reform: This is a project funded by liberal foundations (including George Soros) for many years, but it’s moving in this Congress because it also has the support of the Koch Brothers.
- Passing a budget bill to extend the U.S. Debt Ceiling and increase spending: Again, this is a top priority for the U.S. Chamber and Democrats. Everyone who makes money off the government, including defense contractors, is pushing on this one.